Saturday, February 20, 2010

Introducing Ivanov

Alexander Andreyevich Ivanov (Russian: Алекса́ндр Андре́евич Ива́нов; July 28 (July 16 [OS]), 1806 – July 15 (July 3 [OS]), 1858) was a Russian painter who adhered to the waning tradition of Neoclassicism but found little sympathy with his contemporaries.

In 1830 Ivanov received a grant to travel to Italy, where he worked for years.

Ivanov often did many sketches, which sometimes appear to be details but are works of art of themselves.

First paragraph is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Andreyevich_Ivanov

A much larger biography can be found at:

http://www.artsstudio.com/reproductions/new_ivanov-a.htm

rinrin, one of the users on imgsrc.ru, has images for hundreds of artists, including Ivanov. I have no association with rinrin, other than that I admire him!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm happy to find the Walker Ganymedes on your header. I never saw it that size, nor in colour. Couldn't you post him on your blog?

    Puer Aeternus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am able to keep blogging, I intend to post a lot more, including some of Walker's works. I'm going fairly slowly on this blog because, for each artist, I have been researching his works, hoping to find all of the works I would find most in accord with this blog's theme.

    I'll try to respond to your previous comment, later. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete